Tips for Staying Healthy on the Lake
Lake Minnetonka is a beautiful and safe place to enjoy time outdoors, but there are risks associated with the lake. The Minnesota Department of Health, Hennepin County, and CDC offer some tips that everyone can take to enjoy the water while minimizing the risk of illness and keeping the lake healthy for everyone.
Minimize the risk of illness while on the lake.
Bacteria and viruses in the water can cause ear and eye infections, stomach aches, diarrhea, and flu-like symptoms.
- Don’t swallow the water
- Shower after swimming
- Avoid swimming after a rain event
- Avoid swimming near discharge pipes
- Avoid swimming if you see a blue-green algal bloom
- Wash your hands before eating
Help keep the lake healthy for everyone
- Stay out of the water if you have diarrhea
- Shower before swimming
- Don’t go to the bathroom in the water
- Take frequent bathroom breaks
- Change diapers frequently and away from the water
- Dispose of trash, animal waste, raw meat juices, and boat waste properly